Recipe courtesy Lisa Nakamur, The French Laundry. Found on Food Network, posting for ZWT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 medium size mission figs (Turkey or Kadota figs may be used also)
- 1 head fennel, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for sauteing
- salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, to finish
- 1/4-1/2 lb goat cheese, such as humboldt fog cut into wedges (a soft cream cheese such as Brie may be substituted)
- 1Cut stem end off figs about 1/2-inch down. Use a melon baller or small spoon to hollow out the fig. Chop and reserve the insides of the figs. Set the figs aside. The stem pieces may be saved as "hats" for the presentation.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. When the oil is hot but not smoking add the fennel. Toss or stir the fennel until golden. Season with salt and a touch of black pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and add the lemon zest, reserved fig insides and tarragon. Finish with the extra virgin olive oil, adding just enough to have the filling bind together.
- 3Remove the filling from the pan and let cool.
- 4Rinse, then finely chop the green peppercorns.
- 5In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and shallots. Season with salt after adding the peppercorns, as they can be salty. The vinaigrette can be made a day in advance and held refrigerated.
- 6Let the vinaigrette sit for about a half hour at room temperature before serving if you have refrigerated it.
- 7Just before serving, fill each fig with cooled fennel mixture. Cover with reserved stem pieces if you wish.
- 8Place 2 figs on a plate along with a wedge of the cheese. Drizzle the figs with the vinaigrette.
- 9Some suggested garnishes are fresh grape leaves, the fine inner leaves of the fennel bulb, or chervil plunches.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Figs With Fennel, Goat Cheese and Green Peppercorn Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.4
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 181.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green peppercorns in brine