Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Did you know that figs have been around for thouands of years and have symbolic and spiritual significance in many ancient and modern cultures? Well, I truly hope you'll enjoy these koftas from the Weekend magazine.
- 2 -3 tablespoons ghee or 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped (to garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 500 g potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 20 dried figs, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 green chilies, finely chopped
- red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- oil, to fry
Gravy - grind this to a paste
- 4 medium onions, washed,peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed, roasted
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, roasted
- 3 tomatoes, washed,peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried kasuri methi
- 1 inch ginger
- To prepare the koftas, add salt, chilli powder, green chillies, chopped corriander leaves and cornflour to the mashed potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Knead to a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal parts.
- Take 1 part at a time.
- Flatten it on your palm.
- Place the fig over it.
- Roll the kofta with wet hands into a ball.
- Make all koftas in the same way.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Dep fry the koftas till golden in colour.
- Drain excess oil on clean paper kitchen napkins.
- Now prepare the gravy.
- Heat ghee or oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add the ground paste.
- Fry until the ghee or oil separates and floats on top.
- Add a little warm water if the gravy is too thick.
- Just before serving, add the koftas and garam masala powder.
- Simmer on low flame for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the cream.
- Stir gently.
- Garnish with chopped corriander leaves and serve hot.
This is a very creative dish. I didn't have any kasuri methi on hand, but the recipe turned out pretty great. The only problem I had was that the koftas became soggy because I didn't add enough oil to deep fry them. We ate this with rice and it made us full quickly. I will definitely try this again.