Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the "Weekend" magazine dated Sept 6-12,2002.
- 150 g fresh figs
- 100 g mozzarella cheese
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 5 g of fresh mint
- 5 g fresh basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- lollo rossa, for garnish
- fresh edible flower, for garnish
- Slice the mozzarella and figs.
- Make a vinaigrette with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mint, basil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the slices of figs and mozzarella on a plate.
- Dress the plate with lollo rossa and flowers.
Divine. This is the recipe to use the GOOD balsamic in. I had a lot of beautiful fresh basil so I placed the salad on basil leaves rather than lollo rossa, a type of red butterhead lettuce. I recommend using only fresh mozzarella. I found Ciliegine to be just the right size combined with the figs. This will be the next dinner party salad for sure.
This was part of my Christmas dinner menu as I managed to find fresh figs. It all got polished off and I found that it tasted better the longer it sat out as the tastes of the mozzarella, figs and viniagrette melded. Lovely recipe!