Elly in Canada's Note:
A French style tapenade which can be prepared several days in advance and refrigerated. A fantastic appetizer when spread on a toasted baguette slice or an English muffin and topped with cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 158.51 ml dried fig, chopped
- 44.37 ml water
- 44.37 ml kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 14.79 ml balsamic vinegar
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml fresh thyme, chopped
- 0.59 ml black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 whole wheat English muffins, split and toasted (or 1/4 inch -thick slices of a baguette)
- 236.59 ml goat cheese, crumbled
- fresh thyme sprig (to garnish)
- 1Note: I have prepared this appetizer several times using small pieces of brie or crumbled Gorgonzola to replace the goat cheese. Sweet and tangy flavours blend well.
- 2Combine figs and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often until liquid is absorbed, place fig mixture into a small bowl.
- 3Stir in olives, vinegar, oil, thyme and pepper, set aside.
- 4Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 5Top each toasted muffin half with cheese and 1 tablespoon of fig tapenade.
- 6Place muffin halves on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- 7Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- 8Cut each baked muffin in half or quarters for bite-sized pieces.
- 9If you use baguette slices, arrange on a baking sheet, broil until lightly toasted on one side only; then spread untoasted side with tapenade and top with cheese.
- 10Garnish with thyme sprigs. Serve and enjoy!
- 11On the day of the party, assemble the "mini pizzas" up to an hour in advance, cover and leave at room temperature until ready to bake.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fig Tapenade
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.7
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 239.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: