Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
From The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. My favorite way to use all of those fig preserves I insist on making. A nice moist spice cake, good with coffee when the weather starts to get cool.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) jar fig preserves (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; add oil and eggs, beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla, beating well.
- Stir in preserves and pecans.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in a pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on a serving plate.
- Pour buttermilk glaze over cake while both are still warm.
- For Buttermilk Glaze: Bring sugar, baking soda, buttermilk, butter and corn syrup to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Boil 4 minutes, stirring constantly until glaze is golden.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
- Cool slightly.
- Yield: 1/2 cups.