Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this on line. Will make as soon as my figs are ripe.
- 7 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 quarts hot water
- 2 quarts peeled firm-ripe figs (about 4 and 1/2 pounds)
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- Add sugar and lemon juice to hot water.
- Cook until sugar dissolves.
- Add figs and cook rapidly for 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add sliced lemons and continue cooking rapidly until figs are clear, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- (If syrup becomes too thick before figs become clear, add boiling water, 1/4 cup at a time.) Cover and let stand 12 to 24 hours in a cool place.
- Place in Ball jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space.
- Adjust caps.
- Process half-pints and pints 30 minutes at 180 to 185 F.
- in hot-water bath.
- Yield: about 10 half-pints.
- NOTE: although the product will not be as high quality, figs may be preserved without peeling.
- If not peeled, figs should be covered with water and boiled 15 to 20 minutes and drained before adding to syrup.