- 9 cups fresh figs
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) box strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash figs and soak in baking soda and enough water to cover for 1 hour.
- This takes the fuzz off the figs.
- Drain and measure.
- In a large saucepan, place drained figs, sugar, Jello, sliced lemon, and 1/4 cup water.
- Cook very slowly on low until sugar is melted.
- Adjust heat to medium, heat and cook until syrup thickens (about 2 hours).
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCORCH!
- Pour hot mixture into sterilized pint jars and seal.