Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- Clean figs first by rinsing thoroughly in cold water then drain.
- Combine sugar and water in a large Magnolite pot; bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes.
- Add figs to syrup; cook until figs are clear and tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon figs into hot sterillized jars; if necessary, continue cooking syrup until thick.
- Pour syrup over figs, leaving 0.125 inch head space.
- Run wooden spatula around edge of jars to remove air bubbles.
- Top with lids and screw metal bands tight.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Makes 5-6 pints.
- Any remaining syrup can be poured into a hot sterilized jar, sealed, and processed and used as a topping for pancakes, toast or ice cream.