Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love nibbling on dried figs. Found this recipe in an old cookbook and thought, why not. Must say I substituted half of the butter for applesauce to cut down on fat.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened (or 1/2 cup butter cup applesauce)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup dried fig, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour an 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan.
- Sieve flour, cornmeal vanilla sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Put butter in a bowl and beat.
- Slowly add the sugar; blend well.
- Add eggs to butter mixture, two at a time, and beat until light.
- (If you use applesauce, add it in between the eggs).
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in figs and nuts.
- Spoon into greased loaf pan.
- Bake about 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Cool on a rack.