Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From BHG 1988.
- 8 ounces dried figs, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a small saucepan combine the figs, water and brandy. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook and stir till very thick, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in almonds and cool.
- Combine shortening and butter until fluffy; add egg and vanilla. Add half the flour and milk, then stir in the remaining flour by hand.
- Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion on a floured board into a 10x9 inch rectangle. Spread half the filling to within 1/2 inch of the edge.
- Roll up, jelly roll style, starting from the 9 inch edge. Pinch edge to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Wrap rolld in waxed paper and freeze 2 hours or chill overnight.
- Cut into 1/4 inch slices and put on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute, then remove to rack.