Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Figs are ripe so I mixed a couple with cheese, pine nuts,honey and the rest is history! Grilling time will vary according to thickness of loin. Be sure to check temperature with an instant thermometer. Served with African Pepper, Tomato and Spinach Creamy Pepper, Tomato & Spinach With Peanut Butter as shown in picture.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork loin, cut into 4-1 1/2 inch steaks
- 2 -3 fresh figs, each cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄3 cup feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- dry rub seasonings (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Slice a very thin piece if each steak to cover the hole to hold in the filling, set aside.
- Slice a small entry along the side (opposite side of the fat) of each steak for the filling. Then slice the inside a little larger so to hold more of the filling.
- Rub each with a touch of olive oil.
- Season each steak inside and out with salt, pepper and optional rub, set aside.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together divide into four and fill into the cavity of each steak.
- Cover the hole with the slice of meat.
- Grill over direct heat to mark each side of steak then more to indirect heat standing the steaks with the cut side up. Close lid and grill till thermometer registers at 145 degrees. Remove and let rest covered with foil for 10 minutes and it will raise to 155 degrees which is medium.
I absolutely loved this - thought it was fabulous. (The reason for 4 rather than 5 stars - husband was just "OK" with it, but what does he know?) The filling was amazing - the sweet fruity figs and honey were a great contrast for soft, sour feta, and the pine nuts added a perfect crunch. I also did this pork loin as a rolled roast - I tied the roast together, then seared on the grill and cooked over indirect heat as directed for the chops. It "roasted" for about an hour and was perfect. Thanks, Rita, for a wonderfully "different" thing to do with a pork roast.
We loved this! I actually did it as a rolled roast, cooked it in the oven and it was wonderful.