Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The Aroma brings the holidays to whatever you enjoy this with this sweet syrup because it holds heavenly spices and dark rum. Try it warmed on bread pudding, pancakes, waffles, french toast, pour it into a trifle, glaze a ham, pork roast or a chicken with it. Oh and of course serve it over ice cream. Any questions on canning check out http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=24 in Canning, Preserves, Dehydrating Forum or zaar mail me. enjoy this http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=226479 step x step
- 2 lbs fresh figs, washed
- 1 quart water
- 4 lbs sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum or 1⁄2 cup Grand Marnier
- 3 cups pecans (or nuts of choice) or 3 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped (or nuts of choice)
- Place figs and water in 2 batches in a blender and blend till semi smooth but still chunky.
- Place in a heavy bottom pot with sugar and spices.
- Bring to a rolling boil at 225°F using a candy thermometer for 20 minutes. Stirring almost constantly so not to burn or to boil over. Add nuts and continue stirring for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and add carefully dark rum stirring.
- All the stirring over this heavenly scented syrup is so worth it and you get a facial too! ;).
- Pour into sterile jars place clean lids and process for 10 minutes.
- Store out of light. Refrigerate once opened.
Great recipe. I made a batch of this last night so that it has time to age/mellow and then use them in my Christmas gift baskets. I doubled the cinnamon and added a bit of fresh grated nutmeg as well. It made about 9 1/2 pint jars.
Rita, thank you so much for giving us a jar of this wonderful treat while visiting with you and your family over the Christmas holidays last year. We used it on waffles, and also for Angel Meringue Bites. It is so yummy we will have to make some ourselves!