Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
not sure where I got this one.
Make and share this Fig-Newtons recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, Packed
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups dried figs
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, Grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- DOUGH FILLING:.
- In small bowl, beat butter and sour cream until light. Gradually add brown sugar, beating until mixture is very light and thick. Add eggs one at a time beat in vanilla
- Sift together, flour, baking powdr, soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to creamed mixture, beating on low speed or by hand. Mix well and turn out on sheet of floured plastic wrap refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- Cut heavy stems off of figs. Combine figs and water in heavy saucepan and simmer, covered for 30 min, or until fruit is soft. Add sugar, lemon rind,and salt simmer covered, for 15 minute longer. Press mixture thru food mill and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 F Cover large. baking sheet with parchment or spray.
- Divide the chilled dough into thirds and refrigerate 2 parts. Roll remaining piece on well floured surface to form rectangle about. 5 x 11".
- Spread 1 third of fig filling slightly to one side of center, along the length of the dough, leaving 1/2" margin around edges. Mound filling slightly in center along whole length. Moisten edges with water. VERY gently, lift uncovered pastry with spatula and fold over filling. Press 2 halves together to seal. Trim edges and shape roll into a neat, half cylinder form abt. 11" long and 2-2 1/2" wide. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat until all filling & dough is used up, bake for 25 min, or until slightly browned.
- Cool rolls on rack,trim off the ends, with a sharp serrated knife, cut each one into slices about 1 1/2" wide. Replace slices on rack. When bars are completely cool, store airtight.