Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Healthier than store-bought, without all the preservatives!
Make and share this Fig Newton Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Cream the shortening and 1 cup sugar; add the egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Mix the milk with the vanilla.
- Sift salt, flour and baking powder together; add alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
- Blend well.
- Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness on lightly floured board (rectangle shape).
- Put figs in saucepan with remaining sugar and 1 cup boiling water.
- Boil 5 minutes; cool.
- Spread the cooked mixture over half the dough; fold over the other half of the dough to cover.
- Cut into rectangular bars.
- Bake in 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes.