Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 crescent rolls, containers
- 12 -16 figs, dried
- 2 tablespoons butter
- olive oil
- 2 onions, large sweet
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons thyme, dried
- balsamic vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup blue cheese (feta and goat cheese work well too)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Soak figs in hot/boiling water for 1/2 hr.to soften. Set aside.
- Lightly coat baking tray with olive oil.
- Spread pastry on baking tray, join edges and pierce with fork to allow air to escape during baking.
- Bake until light brown (approx. 5-7 min.).
- Cook onions in butter and olive oil over medium heat until soft caramelized.
- Add brown sugar, salt and pepper, thyme and cook over low heat for 5 minute.
- Add drizzle of balsamic vinegar in last 2 minutes.
- Pour onion mixture over pastry covering to edges.
- Add figs (cut into small chunks).
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake at 400F fro 10-12 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.
- Cut into appetizer size pieces.
The flavors are good. I used gueyer instead of blue cheese and that worked well. The crust seemed a bit too soft. Next time I will cook it more than 7 minutes before putting the topping on.