Recipe by mollypaul
An interesting variation on cake filling and a delicious way to use up any extra figs you may have. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947. Cooking time is approximate.
- 1⁄4 lb fig, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 orange, rind of, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook figs until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in the top of double boiler.
- Add boiling water gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add figs, lemon juice, and orange rind.
- Let cool to room temperature before assembling cake.