Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Southern Living.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups fig preserves
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1.5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (total amount should be 12 ounces of cream cheese)
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- To make the frosting: beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla using an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating on low speed just until blended (do not overbeat or frosting will be too thin).
- To make the cake: In a mixing bowl, beat the first 3 ingredients using an electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla, beating well.
- In another bowl, combine the flour and next 5 ingredients; gradually add to buttermilk mixture, beating until blended.
- Fold in fig preserves, applesauce, and pecans (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 35-40 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks 10 minutes; turn cake out of pans and cook completely on wire racks.
- Spread cream cheese frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Stor in refrigerator.
Is this supposed to have baking soda or powder?
Mine didn't raise good, but the flavor is awesome! Can't wait to try it with ice cream drizzled with caramel!