A delicious and healthy way to use up any dried figs you may have. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease muffin tins.
- Pour boiling water over figs, cover and let stand for ten minutes.
- Drain, pick out any stems and chop.
- While figs are soaking, sift next four ingredients together.
- Add bran flakes.
- Combine milk, beaten eggs and melted butter; add to dry ingredients and figs, stirring until just blended.
- Fill prepared muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
The figs were certainly a nice change of pace, as I'd never had them in muffins. While we enjoyed the flavor of these, we all agreed they seemed a bit too dry. I usually eat muffins "as is", but found these definitely benefited from being warm and spread with butter. Thanks for posting!