Prep 1 hr
Cook 14 mins
Pizza, Any Way You Slice It.
- 2 (12 inch) pizza crusts, prepared pizza dough, for two 12-inch pizzas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces taleggio, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (or Fontina)
- 12 fresh sage leaves, torn into tiny pieces
- 4 -6 ripe figs, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- *30-60 minutes before ready to bake the pizzas, place a baking stone on a rack in the lowest level of the oven; turn on oven to the maximum temperature—450° to 500°.
- Place 1 ball of pizza dough on a floured surface; holding your hands flat, pat the ball out evenly with your fingers, lifting it and turning it over several times, until it reaches a 12-inch circle (do not knead or handle the dough any more than you need to); if the dough seems sticky, dust it lightly with flour.
- Dust a pizza peel with flour; carefully transfer the circle of dough to the peel, reshaping it if needed.
- Shake the peel once or twice to make sure the dough does not stick; if it does, lift the dough and sprinkle the peel with more flour.
- Brush the dough with some of the oil; spread with half the ricotta, leaving a ½ inch border.
- Sprinkle with half the Taleggio and sage; arrange half the fig slices on top; sprinkle with half the Parmigiano and drizzle with 1 tablespoon honey.
- To slide the pizza onto the prepared baking stone, line up the edge of the peel with the back edge of the stone, then tilt the peel, jerking it gently to start the pizza moving.
- Once the edge of the pizza touches the stone, carefully pull back on the peel until the pizza is completely off.
- After the pizza is on the stone, do not try to move it until it firms up in 2-3 minutes.
- Bake the pizza 6-7 minutes or until the crust is browned.
- Slice and serve immediately.
- Make a second pizza with the remaining ingredients.
Very elegant pizza. Love the combo of figs, taleggio and sage in it.