Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
Developed by California Grown. See more recipes at http://californiagrown.org/cookbook/index.asp.
Make and share this Fig and Raisin Bread Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups chopped fresh figs (may substitute 2 1/2 cups chopped dried figs, plumped in hot water and drained)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 9 slices French bread
- 5 tablespoons room temperature butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs egg yolks
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vanilla ice cream (optional) or whipped cream (optional)
- Stir together figs, raisins and brandy in a medium bowl; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Generously butter an 8-cup souffle dish or casserole dish with straight sides. Spread remaining butter onto bread slices. Cut into 1-inch cubes and transfer to prepared dish. Stir together sugar, eggs and egg yolk in a large bowl; whisk in cream, milk, lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla. Stir in fruit, then stir mixture into bread cubes; let stand for 5 minutes. Set dish in a large baking pan and add hot water to come 1-inch up the sides of dish. Bake for 1 3/4 hours or until custard is set in the center, tenting with foil if top browns too quickly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired. Makes 8 servings.