Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Unique and sophisticated seasonal salad. Created on the spur of the moment when guests ended up staying for dinner - I ransacked the kitchen with wonderfully surprising results. This got raves from our friends. They enjoyed the sweet,sour figs with the mellow Muenster and the juicy peaches. The interesting treatment of the Romaine really adds to the presentation value. Enjoy!
- 'Dice the dried figs into 1/2 pieces. Place in a clean jar with the balsamic vinegar and marinate for at least 2 hours up to one week.
- Peel and slice the ripe peaches and set aside.
- Dice the Muenster cheese into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.
- Wash and dry the Romaine. Place the Romaine head on a cutting board using an East/West orientation. Slice the Romaine North to South into 1" strips.
- Assembling the salad:.
- Divide Romaine strips among 4 salad plates, tossing lightly.
- Arrange sliced peaches on each salad. Lightly season with cayenne pepper.
- Remove marinated figs from the balsamic vinegar and distribute over the peach slice. Reserve the vinegar.
- Distribute Muenster cheese dice evenly among the salads.
- Using reserved fig balsamic vinegar and olive oil make a dressing. I find that 4 parts olive oil to 1 part balsamic is about right for my family. Reserve the dressing you don't need for later in the week, adding some herbs if you care to.
- Dress the salad lightly and finish with the pine nuts which may be toasted if you like.