Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Make fig jam when you have lots of fresh figs and you have grown tired of eating them out of hand.
Top Review by belewis
This is a dynamite recipe - tasty and making this jame in the slow cooker/crock pot is just the ticket during the red hot dog days of summer. I've begun adapting other jam recipes to the slow cooker it works so well. I did add 1/2 Tbl of vanilla to this recipe (actually vanilla powder, but it makes no difference) and the flavor is wonderful!
- 2 lbs fresh figs, stemmed, peeled, and quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 thin-skinned lemon, quartered and thinly sliced (remove any seeds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the figs, sugar, water, lemon, and ginger in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours, stirring twice during cooking.
- Remove the lid, turn the cooking temperature to HIGH, and cook 2-3 hours longer, until the jam reaches your desired consistency.
- Ladle the warm jam into clean spring-top glasses (or use screw tops with new lids); let stand until cool.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- OR spoon into small plastic storage containers and freeze for up to 2 months.