Recipe by Mirj
This is amazing sliced with some cream cheese spread on it!
Top Review by tamibic
I got some dates when I was in Palm Springs for my husband and he was not eating them very fast so I thought I would try this. I do not care for dates very much and this was soooo goood. I used brown sugar and it got a little dark but not burnt and oh man Hubby loved it and so did I !!!! A real treat because I havent been very successful at quick breads so far THANK_YOU
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup chopped dried fig
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly grease an 8x4 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dates, figs, butter and baking soda.
- Pour in the boiling water, stir well and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Beat the sugar, walnuts and eggs into the date mixture.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the date mixture just until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.