Recipe by gailanng
Serve with goat cheese crostini, grilled cheese sandwiches, brie, pork, etc. From Ad Hoc at Home, Thomas Keller.
- 2 lbs fresh black mission figs, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar (use a good-quality sweet balsamic)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, tied into a sachet
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the figs, sugar, balsamic vinegar, and a sachet in a large saucepan and attach a candy thermometer to the pan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring to break up the large pieces of fig, keeping a chunky consistency, until the jam reaches 220 degrees F. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the sachet and stir in the lemon juice to taste. Spoon the jam into a canning jar or other storage container, cover, and let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for up to 1 month.