Prep 22 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe is from Vegetarian Times. I adapted it to be lower in fat and carbs by substituting canned artichoke hearts for marinated and rice vinegar for brown rice syrup.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced (approx. 1 small)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and halved lengthwise
- 1 roasted red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 fresh figs, halved lengthwise
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Heat 1 tsp oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add pinch of salt and saute another minute.
- Stir in artichoke hearts and red pepper, and saute another 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil and chili powder in same skillet over medium heat, stirring to combine.
- Lay figs cut side down in oil, and cook 2 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- To make Dressing:.
- Whisk together oil, lime juice, and vinegars.
- Place watercress on salad plates. Top with artichoke mixture and drizzle with 2 Tbs. dressing.
- Add figs, sprinkle with pecans and green onions.