Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
- 118.29 ml coarsely chopped natural whole almond
- 177.44 ml packed light brown sugar, divided
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour, plus
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 680.38 g granny smith apples, quartered, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (about 4 c.)
- 226.79 g dried calimyrna figs or 226.79 g dried black figs, stems trimmed, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml diced crystallized ginger
- 236.59 ml quick-cooking rolled oats (do not use instant)
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml salt
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature
- vanilla ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°; lightly butter a shallow 13x9 inch baking dish or a deep pie plate; set aside.
- Spread the almonds in an ungreased baking pan; bake until lightly toasted, 8-10 minutes; let cool.
- Combine ¼ cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in a big bowl; add in the apples, figs, and crystallized ginger; toss to combine.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- Combine the oats, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, the remaining 1/3 cup flour, ground ginger, and salt in a big bowl; stir to combine.
- Add in the butter; work it into the mixture using a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly; sprinkle the oatmeal mixture evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until the crumbs are well browned and the apples are tender.
- Serve lukewarm or at room temperature, with a scoop of ice cream.