Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
Make and share this Fig and Apple Oatmeal Crisp recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped natural whole almond
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples, quartered, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (about 4 c.)
- 8 ounces dried calimyrna figs or 8 ounces dried black figs, stems trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons diced crystallized ginger
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (do not use instant)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature
- vanilla ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°; lightly butter a shallow 13x9 inch baking dish or a deep pie plate; set aside.
- Spread the almonds in an ungreased baking pan; bake until lightly toasted, 8-10 minutes; let cool.
- Combine ¼ cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in a big bowl; add in the apples, figs, and crystallized ginger; toss to combine.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish.
- Combine the oats, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, the remaining 1/3 cup flour, ground ginger, and salt in a big bowl; stir to combine.
- Add in the butter; work it into the mixture using a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly; sprinkle the oatmeal mixture evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until the crumbs are well browned and the apples are tender.
- Serve lukewarm or at room temperature, with a scoop of ice cream.