Recipe by myrnabarager
I was given this recipe many years ago by a dietitian. Not sure how accurate the name actually is. I haven't made these in a long time but I remember them being good.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural bran
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 orange
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk (approximately)
- 1 cup apple, unpeeled, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray or line with paper cups.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, bran, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a smaller bowl, combine vanilla, egg, and molasses. Grate orange peel and add.
- Squeeze orange juice into measuring cup and add buttermilk to measure two cups. Combine with molasses mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, toss in the apple, raisins, and walnuts. Stir to moisten (do not overmix).
- Spoon into prepared muffin pans and bake for 20 minutes.
- Yield 20 small muffins.