Recipe by looneytunesfan
The perfect combination of Mexican-style corn, taco seasoning and corn meal creates this wonderful, aromatic meal. You can either serve alone, or just add a salad.
Top Review by Mysterygirl
This is a nice change to the normal tamale pie recipes. The only problem I had was that my taco seasoning didn't call for water so I suspect that's why it wouldn't thicken up - just stayed watery. I had even put only half the water the recipe called for. I'd suggest using your own judgement on how much water your taco seasoning requires.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix, Regular
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F
- BROWN beef in well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet; drain. Stir in corn, water and seasoning mix. Cook over low heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens. Top with cheese.
- COMBINE corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine evaporated milk and egg in small bowl; mix well. Add milk mixture to corn meal mixture; stir just until blended. Spread over top of meat-cheese mixture.
- BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.