Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This recipe is a festive take on Mexican bruschetta using potatoes as the base with a lively colorful corn/black bean topping.
- 1⁄2 cup canned whole kernel corn, drained
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
- 1⁄3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons packaged taco seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- In a medium bowl, combine corn, black beans, red bell peppers, green onions and tomato. In a small bowl, place cumin, sugar, 1/4 t. Kosher salt, and 1/8 t. black pepper. Whisk in vinegar and 1/2 t. canola oil; stir mixture into vegetables; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together hash brown potatoes, garlic, 2 T. cilantro, yellow onion, taco seasoning, remaining 1 t. Kosher salt and 1/4 t. black pepper. Mix in eggs and flour. In a large non-stick saute pan or skillet, heat canola oil and butter over medium-high heat, using 1 tablespoon of each at a time. Spoon 6 mounds of potato mixture, using 2 generous tablespoons for each into heated oil mixture. Fry several minutes until golden brown and crisp on underside; flip over and fry until golden and crisp.
- Drain on paper toweling. Repeat with remaining oil and butter and potato mixture, making 6 more mounds; drain on toweling.
- Spoon corn/bean mixture evenly over each potato cake. Divide crumbled goat cheese evenly over cakes and sprinkle with remaining 1 T. chopped cilantro. Place potato cake bruschettas onto a serving platter.
This Recipe is Diffidently a FIVE STAR*****
Simple and Festive!!! I love this and want to try it!