Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here is the third recipe that my friend Georgia shared in our local newspaper, The Journal Gazette. This combines beef with vegetables and apples to make a savory stew. It is wonderful! Don't be scared off by the long list of ingredients - I'll bet that you have most of them in your pantry or vegetable crisper.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean stewing beef, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- 6 small white potatoes, cubed (no need to peel)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, slivered
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
- 1 -2 granny smith apple, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped, for garnish
- cheddar cheese, shredded, for garnish
- Combine flour, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add the beef cubes and toss to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Brown the beef on all sides, in batches if necessary.
- Return all of the beef to the pot and add beef broth and apple juice.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes, onions, diced tomatoes, green chilies, tomato sauce and honey; cook for 20 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the apples and kidney beans, cover and simmer until the apples are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serve in shallow bowls garnished with parsley and shredded cheese.
I have been looking for this recipe, I don't know where I got it years ago, but one of my family's favorites!
We had this for supper tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a very hearty, stick-to-your-ribs kind of meal. It would be great for camping as it retains its heat throughout the meal. The variety of ingredients was delightful to the palate. Definitely recommend!