Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from "Every Day with Rachel Ray" September 2007 edition. I like Spoon Bread but my favorite is Spoon Bread a La Scharf Family. :)
- 14 3⁄4 ounces creamed corn
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into small cubes (not the bottled kind)
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sugar (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- sour cream (optional)
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Grease a 2-quart or 8-inch square baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the corn, roasted red pepper, scallions, eggs, butter, half-and-half, salt,crushed red pepper flakes, and sugar.
- Working over a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal and baking soda, then stir in the cheese.
- Stir the vegetable mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined; do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350°F and bake until set, about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Garnish with sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar cheese & even guacamole.