Recipe by Miss Fannie
Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry This colorful first course dish uses fresh, healthy ingredients. The pan roasted corn gives a smoky sweetness to the sauce while the avocado cools everything down. Fiesta Shrimp Cocktail gives a lovely presentation that is sure to draw complements from your dinner guests. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for parties.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This is delicious shrimp cocktail. I was fortunate to find some tequila-lime (cooked) shrimp at the Whole Foods Market and they really complimented this sauce. The only changes I made was to leave out the corn and add a bit of prepared horseradish to the sauce. I halved the recipe since it was just DH and I and he absolutely loved it. Made for PRMR, May, 2013.
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 avocado
- 2 hot peppers
- 2 scallions
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 4 lime slices
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw corn. Pan fry the corn in a non-stick skillet until it begins to brown. Seed and thinly slice the peppers. I used jalapeño peppers. Thinly slice the scallions and chop the chives and cilantro. Cool the corn and mix with the peppers, scallions, cilantro, and chives. Chill the corn mixture.
- Place the shrimp in a large skillet. Add two tablespoons lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and two tablespoons hot sauce. Add two cups of water. Cover and simmer until the shrimp are pink. (about 5 minutes).
- Stir the shrimp at least once while they simmer. Drain and cool the shrimp. Refrigerate the shrimp for one hour or until they are chilled.
- In a blender combine the tomato juice, tequila, teaspoon of hot sauce, remaining lemon juice, chives, cumin, Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix, and black pepper. Chill until ready to serve. Note- I used the Original Hidden Valley Ranch Mix.
- Rim four chilled cocktail glasses with salt. Spoon the corn mixture in the bottom of each glass followed by a layer of avocado. Arrange the shrimp around the inner rims of the cocktail glasses. Carefully pour the juice mixture int the center of each glass. Garnish with lime slices.