Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love to serve this salad platter for special spring summer occasions. It looks so beautiful on the table and compliments any barbecue. The Fiesta Salad Dressing is step number 6.
- 1 cucumber
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- leafy green lettuce or butter lettuce
- 1 medium orange, peeled, sliced
- 1 large avocado, peeled sliced
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 small red onion, cut into rings
- 8 -12 whole black olives, pitted
- Use a parer to cut a few lengthwise strips from whole cucumber to make it look pretty. Then cut into slices. Combine in a small bowl with the vinegar and salt. Marinate for 1 hour. Toss occasionally.
- Line a decorative serving platter with lettuce.
- Drain cucumber slices, reserving marinade to use in dressing.
- Arrange slices of oranges in vertical rows, follow with vertical rows of avocado, tomato, and cucumber. (The size of the tray will determine how many rows you will have.) To make this tray the most eye pleasing, don't combine components in rows. Oranges on oranges, avocado on avocado, etc.
- Scatter the onion rings and olives over the top of the rows. Spoon dressing over and serve.
- Fiesta Dressing: To reserved cucumber marinade, add 1/2 t. grated orange rind, 1/2 t. chili powder and 1/4 cup olive oil. Whisk or shake to blend just before spooning over the salad.
- TIP: If you want to make this salad ahead of time, sprinkle the avocado with a little lemon juice so it won't color. Cover the entire platter with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Add dressing just before serving.