Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another lunch box favorite of mine. From Beverly Mills & Alicia Ross of "Desperation Dinners."
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 2 cups pre- cooked brown rice
- 1 medium red bell pepper (or yellow bell pepper, for 1 cup chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (for 1 cup chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (for 1 cup chopped)
- 3 -4 scallions (for 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (for 1/2 cup chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup mild mexican picante sauce or 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄3 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pour beans into colander; rinse with cool tap water; drain.
- Pour rice into medium bowl. Seed and chop peppers and celery into bite sized pieces; add to bowl.
- Mince scallions, using all the whites and enough tender green tops to make 1/2 cup; add to bowl.
- Chop cilantro leaves; add to bowl.
- Add drained black beans; set bowl aside.
- Pour the picante sauce and dressing into 2 cup glass measure. Add lime juice and cumin; stir to mix well.
- Pour dressing over rice and vegetables and stir gently until the salad is mixed well.
- Serve at once or chill til ready to serve. Leftovers can be refrigerated in air tight container for up to four days.
- NOTE: The rice needs to be cold. If you do not have precooked rice, cook according to package directions and rinse under cold tap water until rice is cool. Drain rice and place in freezer to continue cooling while you cut up the veggies.