Recipe by kitchenslave03
Submitted to Cooking Light by Maro Desjardins. Different from most mexican style rice dishes because it uses brown rice.
Top Review by Shazzie
(Re-posting 'cause my star rating didn't show - have used after freezing : just as delish!) Don't know whether my review will be acceptable as omitted the beans altogether as well as the cilantro (only 'cause I didn't have on hand - will add next time). Added some extra diced jalpenos and a dash of tequila. Divine! Could eat with anything (chicken fish, beef, lamb) or on its own in a wrap for example. simply delicious..thank you :) Brown rice a must!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in med saucepan over med-high heat. Add corn to pan; cook 10 min or til it starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Melt butter in pan. Add onions; saute 5 min or til tender. Stir in rice, cumin, and garlic; cook 1 minute Add broth, pepper, salt and diced tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 min, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in reserved corn and beans. Cover and let stand 10 minute Stir in cilantro and juice and serve.