Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Submitted to Cooking Light by Maro Desjardins. Different from most mexican style rice dishes because it uses brown rice.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Heat oil in med saucepan over med-high heat. Add corn to pan; cook 10 min or til it starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Melt butter in pan. Add onions; saute 5 min or til tender. Stir in rice, cumin, and garlic; cook 1 minute Add broth, pepper, salt and diced tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 min, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in reserved corn and beans. Cover and let stand 10 minute Stir in cilantro and juice and serve.
(Re-posting 'cause my star rating didn't show - have used after freezing : just as delish!) Don't know whether my review will be acceptable as omitted the beans altogether as well as the cilantro (only 'cause I didn't have on hand - will add next time). Added some extra diced jalpenos and a dash of tequila. Divine! Could eat with anything (chicken fish, beef, lamb) or on its own in a wrap for example. simply delicious..thank you :) Brown rice a must!
I tried this recipe from C.L. and it is fabulous on flavor! the brown rice is actually really great. It also is great leftover. I will make it with all our mexican dishes as a go to rice. And being healthy makes it all the more appealing!
I tried this recipe in my new rice cooker last night and my husband couldn't believe how wonderful brown rice could really taste!! I've always loved brown rice, but convincing hubby was a little different. :) This recipe was so easy and took no time to prepare and the cooker did everything else! The only thing I didn't have on hand was the green onion, so I used onion powder instead. I cooked the rice in the low sodium broth together with the seasonings and diced chilis and tomatoes(I had the cilantro and lime flavored Ro-Tel as it's my fav)and it smelled wonderful cooking! I was going to make a chicken dish with it, but forgot to thaw it, so we had this as our meal, and it was fabulous! Even hubby said, "You can make this one again!!" :) Next time I'm thinking of using any leftover chicken I have, such as the whole roasted chicken from our Whole Foods store and add it when I add corn and beans.