Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spicy fried potatoes topped in salsa, cheese, and sour cream.
- 4 large red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2.46 ml salt (for boiling potatoes)
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 44.37 ml canola oil
- 118.29 ml shredded cheddar cheese or 118.29 ml monterey jack cheese or 118.29 ml monterey jack pepper cheese
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml prepared salsa
- 1 green onion, greens sliced thinly (optional for garnish)
- Boil potatoes in salted water until a knife can easily poke through them. Drain into a colander and let them steam off for about 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium to medium high heat and add potatoes.
- Add seasonings to potatoes and cook until they are golden brown and the skins are crispy. About 10 minutes.
- Plate potatoes and top with remaining ingredients.
We loved these. I tried it with the fried egg, as some of the reviewers suggested. My husband really liked it that way, but I thought it was better just the way it was written.
Try this variation: Before putting all the toppings on, top each serving with a fried egg (I like mine over easy with the yolk a little runny). Then put on the cheese, salsa and sour cream! Makes a great main dish this way!
This was great. I used waxy yellow potatoes. I also added a can of black beans to the pan with the potatoes. Finally, I topped each serving with a poached egg. Delicious!