Recipe by Starrynews
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: A refreshing twist on potato pancakes, topped with a fresh homemade salsa. This works well as a side or an appetizer, or even breakfast, with an egg on top of each pancake and then topped with the salsa.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
Breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner these are perfect for anytime! I didn't make the
fresh salsa because I don't like tomatoes in January. For garnish, I put out a platter
of chopped cilantro, jalapeno, crumbled cotija cheese and sour cream. Served with a simple salad-this one: recipe #341569 minus the goat cheese. Thanks for posting! Delicious! Reviewed for Veg Tag/December 2012.
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup black beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 lime, juice from
- 1 small jalapeno, diced (rib and deseed if you want it milder)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine hashbrown potatoes, eggs, flour, cumin, and chili powder in a large bowl, mixing well.
- Stir in onion, red pepper, corn, and black beans.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When hot, drop by spoonfuls and flatten into pancakes, about ½” high.
- Pan fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Flip pancakes and cook until second side is golden brown, about another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain as you finish making the rest, keeping them warm.
- Serve topped with fresh salsa.
- To make the salsa, combine the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeno, and mix well.