Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: A refreshing twist on potato pancakes, topped with a fresh homemade salsa. This works well as a side or an appetizer, or even breakfast, with an egg on top of each pancake and then topped with the salsa.
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup black beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 lime, juice from
- 1 small jalapeno, diced (rib and deseed if you want it milder)
- Combine hashbrown potatoes, eggs, flour, cumin, and chili powder in a large bowl, mixing well.
- Stir in onion, red pepper, corn, and black beans.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When hot, drop by spoonfuls and flatten into pancakes, about ½” high.
- Pan fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Flip pancakes and cook until second side is golden brown, about another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain as you finish making the rest, keeping them warm.
- Serve topped with fresh salsa.
- To make the salsa, combine the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeno, and mix well.
Breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner these are perfect for anytime! I didn't make the
fresh salsa because I don't like tomatoes in January. For garnish, I put out a platter
of chopped cilantro, jalapeno, crumbled cotija cheese and sour cream. Served with a simple salad-this one: Winter Grapefruit Salad minus the goat cheese. Thanks for posting! Delicious! Reviewed for Veg Tag/December 2012.
This is delicious! Thought the beans might make this a bit strange, but it worked perfectly for a brunch type dish. Enjoyed the salsa as well. Thanks!
I made as written but didn't use the beans. Yummy with the salsa. Thanks!