Recipe by OceanLuvinGranny
This recipe came from my Aunt. She got it from a Brand Name recipe book. I like it because it is so easy and the family loves it because it tastes so GOOD!
Top Review by Cook In Southwest
While I did enjoy the flavor of this dish, but I didn't care for the custard-like result. I would have preferred creamy, so if I do make this again (and I may) I won't put the eggs in. It was very easy to make. I don't think the French Fried Onions made much of a contribution, so you could probably skip those if you don't have them and be fine.
- 1 (32 ounce) frozen o'brien style hash browns
- 1 1⁄3 cups French's French fried onions, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and 1 c jack cheese mixed then divided
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (7 ounce) canmild green chilies, undrained (use less if you like it milder)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Layer potatoes, 2/3 c French Fried Onions and 1 cup of the mixed cheeses in 3 quart casserole.
- Combine soup, chilies, sour cream, eggs and Frank's RedHot sauce in medium bowl. Pour over potatoes and onions in casserole.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes or until potatoes are cooked and mixture is set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 1 c cheeses and 2/3 c onions.
- Return to oven and bake 3 minutes more or until onions are golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.