Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
I haven't tried this yet -- but want to get it submitted before I misplace the recipe. I hope to give them a try soon.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) boneless pork shoulder
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 12 -14 sandwich buns, split
- Cut roast in half; pierce several times with a fork.
- Place in a large resealable plastic bag or shallow glass container.
- Combine the next eight ingredients, pour over roast.
- Cover, refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain, reserving marinade.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the roast in olive oil on all sides.
- Place onion, roast and marinade in a a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
- Reduce heat to low, cook 6-8 hours longer or until the meat is tender.
- Remove roast; shred or thinly slice.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Skim fat from cooking juices and transfer to a saucepan.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Serve pork on rolls with juices as a dipping sauce.
- Prep time does not include the marinating time.
The family really liked this. It was a nice change from the bbq pork that we usually make - kind of like a southwestern "pork au jus". My guys used hot sauce as a condiment (they do on everything) but I liked it as is. It would be good rolled in tortillas too. Thanks for another good one Bobbie :) Made for My 3 Chefs.