Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy casserole that can be doubled for a crowd. We like it spicy so we use medium or hot salsa. I use chipotles in adobo sauce (chopped) for the corn bread topping. Ground turkey can be subbed for the ground beef if you prefer. The recipe is from a junior league cookbook.
Chipotle Cornbread Topping
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 chipotle chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄3 cups chpped green peppers
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup mild chunky salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- Cornbread Topping: Mix the milk, egg, sour cream, melted butter and chilies in a bowl. Add the corn muffin mix and stir until just combined.
- Fiesta Pie: Brown the ground beef stirring until crumbly; drain and set aside. In the same pan, cook the bell pepper, onion, and garlic until tender.
- In a medium bowl, stir together beef, vegetables, salsa, corn and taco seasoning mix. Spoon into an 8x8 baking dish. Spoon the cornbread mixture over the top.
- Bake at 375º for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cornbread comes out clean. Sprinkle the Cheddar cheese over the cornbread and place back in oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Cook's Note ~ The corn bread topping can also be made into muffins. Fill muffin tins half full and bake at 375º for 15 minutes.