Recipe by zuzuzpetals
This is a zingy version. My family loves it! I got the orginal recipe from a magazine back in the early 90's. I've changed a few things.
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, celery and green pepper in butter until veggies are tender.
- Stir in the two bottles.
- Combine 1/2 of this mixture (I use a little bit more) with the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper.
- Form into a loaf pan.
- Set aside remaining sauce.
- Bake in 350 oven, 1 hour.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Warm up the remaining sauce when meatloaf is done.
- Spoon on the sauce over the sliced meatloaf.
- I serve this with a baked potato or boiled potatos and butter with a salad or sliced cukecumbers and roasted carrots.