Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a zingy version. My family loves it! I got the orginal recipe from a magazine back in the early 90's. I've changed a few things.
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Saute onion, celery and green pepper in butter until veggies are tender.
- Stir in the two bottles.
- Combine 1/2 of this mixture (I use a little bit more) with the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper.
- Form into a loaf pan.
- Set aside remaining sauce.
- Bake in 350 oven, 1 hour.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Warm up the remaining sauce when meatloaf is done.
- Spoon on the sauce over the sliced meatloaf.
- I serve this with a baked potato or boiled potatos and butter with a salad or sliced cukecumbers and roasted carrots.
Yummy! Very moist meatloaf. Tangy not sweet. Loved the combination of celery, onion, and green pepper. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Yummy!! Great flavor here. I did a little more on the veggies and added some brown suger to the sauce that goes on top. Even layered some bacon on top. This is a moist meatloaf that is better than the ordinary!!