Prep 14 mins
Cook 15 mins
Everybody loves meatballs and these are a cinch to make. All you need is a jar of salsa for their almost-instant sauce. They are good served over garlic rice (just cook a minced garlic clove or 2 in with standard rice).
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning or 2 tablespoons Tex-Mex seasoning
- salt, to taste
- 1 slice bread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 sweet pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 3⁄4 cup salsa (mild or medium)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- grated cheddar cheese (optional and to taste)
- chopped fresh coriander (optional and to taste)
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, whisk together milk, egg, Tex-Mex seasoning and salt. Tear bread into tiny pieces, dropping them into milk mixture; stir well. Let stand for 5 minutes until mushy. Add meat and coriander. With fork, stir just until blended (do not over mix or meatballs will be tough).
- Form meat into about forty 1-inch (2.5-cm) meatballs. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook meatballs, in two batches if necessary, for 7 to 8 minutes, until mostly browned all over.
- Return all meatballs to skillet. Stir in red pepper, salsa and water. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, stirring once or twice, for 3 to 5 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
- Served topped with the cheese and coriander if desired.
I scaled this back for 3 serves which worked out perfect for us (I got 20 meatballs) and served over spaghetti and some steamed green beans on the side. This was a really nice change from the usual meatball recipes but would use more salsa next time and as we are not fond of coriander I used parsley but was a quick and tasty and meal to bring together, thank you Annacia, made for 123 Hits tag game.
We had these with pasta. My son suggested adding a little minced onion. I used Fajitas Seasoning for the seasoning. A nice quick meal. Thanks for posting! Made for the Lively Lemon Lovelies, ZWT8.