Recipe by V'nut-Beyond Redemption
One of the best recipes I know that uses pork tongue. Beef tongue can also be used.
Top Review by rpmazur
Very yummy! Thanks for posting. I used fresh mushroom and baked potatoes. This is an easy recipe but it took me 3 hours to make it. Indeed, cooking pork tongues takes a lot more time than suggested here.
- 2 lbs pork tongue
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons catsup
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, cut into strips and fried
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup canned mushroom, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into rings
- 1 1⁄4 cups tongue stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- soy sauce
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and wash tongues thoroughly.
- Blanch in boiling water.
- Scrape skin with the back of a knife.
- Boil in water and vinegar for 15 minutes.
- Discard liquid.
- Add water just enough to cover and boil to remove vinegar odor.
- Add salt and bay leaf and cook until tender.
- Remove tongues and reserve stock.
- Slice into serving portions.
- Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Reserve marinade.
- Heat oil or margarine in a medium pot.
- Add onions, mushrooms and tongue and sauté about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, catsup, marinade and tongue stock.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and red pepper.
- Stir and cook for 2 minutes.