Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This roast beef recipe is from reynoldskitchens.com It is baked in an oven cooking bag, which makes quick and easy work of getting dinner on the table, and cleanup is a breeze. These cooking bags and the crockpot are my favorite methods for cooking roast beef.
- 1 oven cooking bag, large size
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa, medium chunky
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs beef eye round, boneless
- 7 medium carrots, diagonally sliced
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut in quarters
- 1 bell pepper, cut in strips (yellow or green)
- 1 medium onion, cut in thin wedges
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Shake flour in oven cooking bag; place in 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Add salsa and garlic. Squeeze cooking bag to blend in flour.
- Place roast in oven bag; turn oven bag to coat roast with salsa.
- Arrange potatoes, carrots, onion and pepper in cooking bag around roast.
- Close cooking bag with nylon tie; cut six 1/2–inch slits in top.
- Bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours until roast is tender and meat thermometer reads 145°F
- Let stand in oven bag 5 minutes before slicing.
While this smelled heavenly during the cooking time, I found the flavor to be lacking in the roast. I did not add any salt or pepper, and I think some salt would have helped.