Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe courtesy of Kathryn Harris, found in the Gooseberry Patch Homestyle family favorites cookbook. Posting recipe per request.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces creamed corn
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Mix first 8 ingredients, set aside.
- Heat oil in an 8 or 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- Pour in half the batter.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Pour in remaining batter.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
I am not giving this any stars because I change the recipe substantially. After mixing everything up, the batter seemed way too thin, so I looked up another version of this I have made and it called for equal amounts of flour and cornmeal. This one has no flour listed, but I added a cup. The result was a nice textured cornbread with a nice crisp crust and good flavor, but don't know if it is what the chef intended. Made for Spring 2013 PAC.