Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This 30-minute meal is both quick and hearty! From Southern Living magazine.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package fajita seasoning mix, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) canwhole mexicorn whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cancondensed nacho cheese soup
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Combine flour and 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning in a heavy-duty zip-loc plactic bag; add chicken.
- Seal and shake to coat.
- Cook chicken in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat, stirring often, 4 minutes or until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; add onion and garlic; saute 5 more minutes.
- Stir in remaining fajita seasoning, corn, black beans, tomatoes, green chiles, water, brown rice and olives.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in nacho cheese soup, chopped cilantro, and lime juice.
- Serve with breadsticks and garnished with additional fresh cilantro.
So so good! I used some leftover nacho cheese instead of the nacho cheese soup, and we used corn chips to eat this with because it was fairly hearty. Also used canned chicken and just dumped it and the fajita mix into the soup. (Didn't have cilantro so didn't use it.) Used canned corn. Ran the tomatoes through my mini processor.
This was a very yummy, hearty soup that didn't take all that long to make. The fajita seasoning packet made for great flavor. The texture was chunky and thick, which is just what we like. Tex-Mex in a bowl, just can't beat it. Thanks Nurse Di.