This flavorful dish is quick to prepare and perfect for busy nights. Serve with Mexican flavored side dishes or items such as scalloped potatoes and a green salad. This is an entry for RSC #8.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (plain)
- 2⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- olive oil, used as needed
Jalapeno Cilantro Cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded & finely minced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced including green tops
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients for the jalapeno cilantro crème together in small bowl. Stir until combined. Chill until time to serve to let the flavors blend.
- Butterfly chicken breasts & open. Set aside.
- Mix egg, 1 T water, & 1 T sour cream till well blended and smooth.
- In shallow dish mix breadcrumbs, cornmeal, and spices together.
- Heat non stick skillet over med heat and add oil to just barely cover the bottom of the pan. More oil may be needed as the chicken cooks and the breading crisps.
- Dip butterflied chicken breasts into the egg mixture, then into the cornmeal spice mixture. Turn to coat. Firmly press on chicken breast with the heel of your hand while in the breading mix to flatten as much as possible and to adhere coating. Repeat on second side. The chicken should be as even in thickness as possible.
- Place chicken breasts into heated pan , fry until golden on first side- approx 4 minutes. Turn over and pan fry the other side until golden, approx 3 minutes more depending on thickness of chicken. Remove when done.
- Serve with jalapeno cilantro crème on top or alongside.
This is great, I have made it several times. Lately, I have been baking it in a 9 x13. Put olive oil in the bottom and flip it half way thru. I do 400 degrees for about 35 minutes.
The sauce makes this! Even my picky Dd liked it! Made for ZWT8
The Jalapeno Cilantro Cream sauce is awesome! I can think of so many uses for it... I made the sauce as written. However, we're trying to cut down on fried foods, so I made a paste with the olive oil and the spices listed for the breading mix, then rubbed a whole chicken with it. We put it in the oven on a vertical roaster for an hour and it was very, very good! Made this for ZWT8 - thank you Susie D!